Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverso Nonet - Feel Free to Tell Me if I Missed the Boat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverso Nonet - Feel Free to Tell Me if I Missed the Boat!

You
    Can't forget
    What I said
    About us being together
    Until the day we die
    Whatever else happens, I love you
    I may have to pay the price
    For something bad I wish I hadn't done
    I can't continue to live with the constant regret
    Instead of going to jail, maybe I should kill myself

Instead of going to jail, maybe I should kill myself
    I can't continue to live with the constant regret
    For something bad I wish I hadn't done
    I may have to pay the price
    Whatever else happens, I love you
    Until the day we die
    About us being together?
    What I said?
    Can't forget
    You

Great job MHenry. Your poems always impress!

Comment

The mirror form is great, MHenry, and you've certainly pulled that off, conceptually. The whole composition is coherent and relates a compelling tale.

I thought the reverso nonet had to have an incremental build-up of syllables-per-line from one to nine over the nine lines. Is that not the case? Perhaps I have assumed that in error.

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too, so I did it by number of words, and I didn't really count on my fingers, so I might have even messed that up!

Comment

You make this 'sound' easy. Most times when I try a new style my language goes all high-brow cattywampous. It takes me several tries (if I get it at all) to achieve some kind of normal, conversational, easily relate-able tone like this. Nicely done as always MHenry! Many likes! Oh, and about that nine-syllable line - I wasn't sure if I was supposed to repeat it or if I could just have the one nine-syllable line serve both sides. Thanks for this illustration - really helps.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
            RhymeLovingWriter commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I DID have that thought.... ...but what about the 'catty' part?

• MHenry
            MHenry commented
            Editing a comment
            daddy stomped us

• RhymeLovingWriter
            Editing a comment
            Excellent MHenry (this ought to be good). The ball is in your court!

Thanks, RLW, I don't know if it is an illustration or a bastardization. Someone will have to clarify the proper form for me.
          I had some false starts on this one, but once it got going (after the first four short lines) it seemed to just work.
          I think there is a secret formula for these. I don't know what it is, but I think it exists.
          We just have to study the structure of some of these and figure it out.

Honestly, I don't think this write is poetic, but I wasn't really going for that.
          I think it is hard enough to get the structure right, let alone say something in a way that resonates, so I was just trying to get nine lines that read the same backwards and forwards with the word count increasing by one each time.

But you did it and resonated!

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
            Editing a comment
            It sure is fun experimenting though. And I liked the way yours turned out (except maybe for that line about killing yourself - although I've come to expect some of that from your work by now).
        Working...
        X