Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basal Cell

Deleted
    Last edited by grant hayes; 12-20-2017, 07:27 PM.

'freckling bared Celt-hides', 'snakes, despite the cross', what great word play and imagery. Yet it won't make the top ten of Tourism Australia's advertising programs. But it is, as always from you, very good.

I'm guessing if you are into sports at all it is cricket or rugby. But I think it would be interesting to read a description of Aussie Rules Football in your unique voice. (I'm a Cats fan, the greatest team of all.)

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I'm a Yank. I found AFL matches on TV several years back and got pulled in. I think a Geelong-Collingwood match was what pulled me in, and being a cat person I went with Geelong. Normally I follow the Association code here in he US (Vamos United!)

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      I too, am a cat person, and I am impressed that you - a Yank - have gone in for the only code of football actually invented in Australia. It is a very exciting game to watch, I grant you, and Melbourne - its heartland - is renowned for the religious devotion the locals have for their teams.

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      It is fun to watch. Fast paced and flowing. And there is something about contested marks that make some if them impressive to see. From what I've watched the crowds at the MCG (and other grounds) are as big, rowdy, and fanatic as those at big sporting events in the US.

Beautiful verbiage for horrible consequence. The true test of a master of words!

Comment

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      Alas, it strikes down far too many, Rhymist. Beautiful verbiage can so easily be avoided with a few simple precautions.

Well?
    Australia You Little Beauty....

For me I loved this clever bit:

despite the cross, yet reign,
    and rain
    is rare,

Consistent Quality
    Very vivid images are brought to my mind.

Your a credit to Australian Literature...

Comment

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, mate! I do love our sunburnt land, but try to avoid sunburn.

Grant, I want more of this man that I can access! Vivid and stark imagery. I keep rereading it in one breathe out loud. Not Great - Brilliant!!!!!!!! In your simplicity of imagery, there is
    a complex depth - as always, your play with words in astonishing.

Comment

I shall take on board what you say, Tanner, and attempt more of this kind of writing. My pieces often tend toward conceptual barrage, I know, and I do need to put more pause into them. I was once told they lacked air. Maybe they are like ornately inscribed tomb chapels: one marvels at the mystifying carven scenes, but is relieved - all the same - to emerge into fresh air and daylight.

Comment

I felt a sense of exhilaration as I read through this wonderful ode to skin cancer told so lyrically, grant, one would think you were selling tropical containers of Coppertone 60 sunblock! Yes, I am exhilarated, because I understood the entire poem and it is fantastic!

Comment

Thank you, Maestro. So, folks are understanding my stuff. Gah! I've become too accessible. Note to self: Obfuscate!

Comment

• Muttado1sb
            Muttado1sb commented
            Editing a comment
            This makes two of your poems for me that I didn't have to look something up. :-) But it is brilliantly done.

Hi grant hayes Our friendly Sekhmet, Goddess of Healing - no metaphor here?? All simply what you see is what you get?? a dermatologists warning for more spf?? no scorching love affairs gone wrong to warn the Celts? Carcinomic scorn sounds like derision to me! Or maybe i am assuming the Obfuscater!
          All over thinking aside... really liked this!

Comment

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            Sekhmet is the healer because - as a solar eye goddess - she is also the ferocious slaughterer (with the hot blast of sun and desert wind, pestilence 'the arrows of Sekhmet' ...formidable). The myth of 'The Destruction of Mankind' tells how the solar eye goddess laid waste to humanity, before she was made drunk by a ruse and came back dancing to Re. If you want to get better when pestilence strikes, go to the source of that destructive power and be very, very nice. Hence physicians = priests of Sekhmet.

That's (one of) the Egyptian way(s) of dealing with the divine world: identify the existential threat; name it; worship it. Thus, Selkis the Scorpion is the mistress of breathing because one symptom of scorpion venom is constricted breathing. What she can prevent she - better than any deity - can also enable. Sobek is revered as the great, strong, virile lord of the waters because, well, if you didn't look out on the riverbank, he'd have you for dinner. Horus the hawk is the manifestation of kingly authority not only because he is above all things in his lofty majesty, soaring on the updrafts, but also because he swoops to seize whatever he wants, with impunity. Look out!

The gods (numinous powers-that-be) have a benign aspect, if treated hospitably by humans, but they also have an 'evil coming' that's uncannily unpredictable (though not without remedy). Good gods can have a bad side; bad gods (hello Seth) can have a good side. It's all very complicated, just like .... Life.

Sorry, you probably know all this, Suz-zen. I just like to rabbit on about this kind of thing, given less than half a chance. I am that boring geek at parties.
            Last edited by grant hayes; 05-19-2016, 10:24 PM.

• Suz-zen
            Suz-zen commented
            Editing a comment
            i read this with great interest gh! and no, i did not know much of this. Your vast knowledge in all things Egyptian is awe inspiring. Nothing geekiness about it! now let's look at ***What she can prevent she - better than any deity - can also enable.***
            I would love to see a poem by you with this as the theme!!!

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            I shall dwell on it, Suz-zen, and maybe words will come. I need to be especially mindful; she has never let me down.
        Working...
        X