X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathing, climbing the implosions

Celestial fires lighting the skies I gaze
    gather, ladder and burn real into the hour's sway
    holding the looking glass of a bygone blaze.
    And I wonder which travelers still exist to portray
    the tides of timelessness we witness. Through the vast silences, thoughts answer my eyes:
    everything seen evanishes unseen
    until the next sighs
    of re-creation stir. Between the space of exhale and inhale, thereupon rises a star bridging sheen.

(I wrote this years ago, when I pondered stars as time travelers. Boyfriends would take me out for romantic sky watching evenings but were not too happy when I fell into the stars and pulled out my notebook and pen.. This piece probably needs editing, but so do many, if not all of my piles of scribblings, hah.)
    Last edited by Katray; 05-06-2016, 04:18 PM. Reason: formatting isues again

Epic in scale - understandable if you were star-gazing. In line 6 you use the word 'evanishes'. What does that mean?

Comment

Katray, this is enchanting and lovely. Now, I have this vision of you as a hopeless romantic, who, once romance presents itself, must document the moment until it passes!

Comment

Thank you, RLW! I was looking for synonyms for disappear or vanish and came across evanish.

Comment

Thanks MHenry! Yes, I was kind of a different type, lol.

Comment

Evanish is not one that is use so much. Well, to tell the truth, I had to look it up. It was a perfect exclamation point in this enchanting poem. You are a master of ambiguity. Is "real" a noun or adverb? I' going with noun for now.

Comment

I was deeply moved by this, Katray. I draw meaning from it which, I'm certain, is unintended by the poet. Right now in northern Alberta, our nation's largest and most destructive wildfire is sweeping across towns and communities, taking everything in its wake. The largest community, Fort McMurray, a city of 75,000 people, has nearly been burned to the ground and all residents are under a mandatory evacuation. According to the latest news updates the fire is growing and will likely double in size overnight. The pictures and video clips coming out of the area with evacuees are unimaginable... flames so intense, leaping hundreds of feet into the air, they literally look like your, Celestial fires lighting the skies... And soon, we shall be holding the looking glass of a bygone blaze to see what can be salvaged. And, you are so right. everything seen evanishes unseen until the next sighs of re-creation stir.

Such evocative language. Lovely.
              pf

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
                RhymeLovingWriter commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow pipersfancy- so sorry to hear about what is happening there. Are you safe? I agree that Katray's poem is eerily descriptive. How very sad.

pf, I heard about the horrible fires in Alberta and Ft. McMurray; I know a couple who lives in Canada, not in the path but of course very concerned for their fellow Canadians. We have been e mailing about the situation. So very tragic and scary, my heart and thoughts goes out to everyone affected. Years ago I was in Florida with my parents on vacation during a bad outbreak of fire; we were evacuated from our rental; these kinds of firestorms turn day into a foggy, terrifying night. I'll never forget the car ride on a highway going out of the state in morning hours that were smoke darkened. Even more frightening was seeing the bright red flames leaping and cutting through the haze in a nearby woods; seemed close enough to devour us. I remember telling my father to hurry! I was told everyone made it off that particular roadway without injury. I've always had an intense fear of fire from early childhood for some reason (never had any bad burns or incidents) and that vacation from hell surely didn't help.
              This is a poem I wrote about 16, 17 years ago about my fascination with stars and their time traveling journeys. I do see the meaning unintended you speak of. I heard about the fires this morning; gives me bit of a chill to re read this, knowing about them now...I hope you and yours are safe! Thank you for commenting.

Comment

This story was in our local paper, too. I hope everyone is safe.

Comment

Noun makes sense to me too, John. Thank you. Um, now I finally see how to comment on each person's post. Still learning my way around here..

Comment

I love a cosmic theme lyrically lushly sung.

Comment

Working...
                    X