• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hershey Bar with Almonds

"I'm heartbroken."
    "Really?" She asked.
    "Yeah. I'm dying inside."
    "But she was such a bitch."
    "I know. I just keep thinking about you packing her clothes up. Smaller and smaller sizes."
    "The chemo."
    "How could she just lay there, eaten away, and turn us away?"
    "Maybe she would have felt like we won...we always did wish she would die in a car accident on the way home from work. She was such a fucking bitch."
    "I know. I just can't believe she's gone. I hated her and loved her."
    "I hated her."
    "I know. She treated you like shit. You know what I thought of the other day?"
    "What?"
    "Remember when we were super poor and she'd scrape together fifty-five cents and make us go to the liquor store to get a Coke and a Hershey Bar with almonds?"
    She snorts. "Yeah."
    "One time, I had to go without you -- I think you were at dad's. I was coming back across the field, hopped the fence to the apartments, and this guy pulled a gun on me. My whole body got tingly and I couldn't move. I was too paralyzed to shit my pants."
    "Was he a cop or some random guy?"
    "He was the father of that kid I beat up for calling me a tomboy. He was playing a joke on me."
    "Hmmm."
    "Anyway, that's the last time we ever got her a Coke and Hershey bar."
    "Did she call the cops?"
    "I think so, but I really don't remember. That's the thing. She's got the other half of that memory and now she's gone."

Wow - this is powerful memory verse Sister Greed - the best kind for introspection. I've never even attempted so much dialogue but you seem to do it with ease. Nicely done.

Comment

Sister Greed, that comment -- she's got the other half of that memory and now she's gone -- made me swallow hard like I was going to get punched. Your writing is hard hitting about things people prefer to bury.

Comment

• Sister Greed
      Sister Greed commented
      Editing a comment
      Alexandra, I posted this because I knew it would be welcomed by you. Thank you.

• Sister Greed
      Sister Greed commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess that's how I felt too. Like I just got the emotional wind knocked out of me.

Whoa, Wow, Whoa. Sounds very real. It is real. Like RLW said , I have never seen such dialog. This poem sounds so honest and to the point.
    Very impressive. I like it.

Comment

• Sister Greed
      Sister Greed commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Brain!

The whole story is engaging, but the last line is a knockout! Nice write, Sister Greed!

Comment

• Sister Greed
      Sister Greed commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks MHenry!
Working...
X