Pages in this book have been torn apart
    My history missing now that I'm alone

If only this light could be distinguished
    Stubborn heart in love refuses to die
    Even though your life has been extinguished
    It continues to love you and to cry

Thank you Grant. :-)

Comment

Hi, AG, This is a very powerful statement and sentiment. Standing up to death is no easy feat, but we witness love doing it every day. The institution of marriage, marries love and death, but marriage is not required. Even dogs understand this concept. Great post, AG!

Comment

Thank you MH. very true. I wrote it for my parents. They've been married over 40 years and still love each other and take care of each other. I wrote it from my dad's perspective if he lost my mom. Love is stronger than death or it would die when our loved ones died.

Comment

Very moving reflection on profound loss, Alexandra, and the duality of heart and self; the heart having almost an independent will, a 'mind of its own'. The whole flows really well; these are somewhat shorter lines than you often write, if I am not mistaken. These are mostly 10 syllables each. I'm interested to know: is that a deliberate choice, or is it just what 'feels right'? I tend 'naturally' to gravitate to 8 or 9 syllables for some reason. Not planned, just how it flows. Sometimes I then deliberately try to stick with a syllabic scheme.

Comment

• Brainwreck
            Brainwreck
            Master in Training
            Brainwreck commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh my, a whole bunch of new questions. I notice that many of mine have 11 syllables. Does that
            mean anything? Or yet another coincidence?

• MHenry
            MHenry
            Master of the Forum
            MHenry commented
            Editing a comment
            One overriding principle in law, tax law in particular, is 'form over substance.' The tax authorities will not respect the form if it does not reflect the substance of the transaction(s). So, in poetry, we must hew to the substance as a child to its mother's leg. When you have accomplished both, you should polish it up and put it on your mantle for all to enjoy.

Yes it was deliberate - I might tweak it down the road and make it a sonnet but I just wrote it tonight and didn't feel like playing with it any more. You are very perceptive my friend. :-).

Comment

• grant hayes
            grant hayes
            Master of the Forum
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            When lines flow, I like to know what 'makes them tick', as it were. I have turned out a few 3 x 4 line rhymers like yours here, but I can never manage to bring off the last two lines that would turn them into sonnets. To me, that is the most difficult aspect of the sonnet. Maybe I should try to compose one backwards.

Perceptivity...an admirable quality.

Comment

I like your idea Grant - working backwards - I've worked from the middle, from the ending - just depends what pops in my head. Sonnets are challengingly and I totally agree - the last two lines are the most difficult.
          AlexandratheLate
          Master of the Forum
          Last edited by AlexandratheLate; 04-30-2016, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Brain, some people feel more comfortable with different syllables - to me it says that your beautiful Brain has found its creative side and is expressing it! Kudos to you my friend!!!!

Comment

Thank you very much my friend. :-)

Comment

Thank you very much my poet friend Odonko-ba. :-)

Comment

Working...
                X