• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ant Season

The annual season of ants is here;
    they've started an invasion of my home!
    I really hate it when they first appear,
    knowing it means through my walls they will roam!

I see their scouts as they go search about
    across the open spaces of my rooms.
    They really make me want to scream and shout
    knowing now this seasonal battle looms.

They always find the crumb I did not know
    I had mistakenly dropped on the floor,
    and then in their lines they come and they go
    carrying it out through their ant-sized door.

Oh! How this must seem such a silly rant!
    But, oh! How I dislike the wretched ant!

I'm with you on this one Muttado1sb! It's been very rainy here the past week or so and the ants seem to all want dry space too - so I've seen a few inside. I love how you took a simple frustration and turned it into a sonnet!

Comment

I blame MHenry for the sonnet form. It was a "shower" poem, before I read about his dirty ears, and when I read about his sonnet plan I decided to challenge myself and take a piece of silly doggeral and turn it into a silly sonnet.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
        RhymeLovingWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        Well you've achieved success!

• MHenry
        MHenry commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, it seems one never knows what innocent comments will inspire another's clever creations. I am willing to bet, you are the first to turn a shower poem into a sonnet, because of someone's dirty ears! In any case, this is marvelously done, and I am going now to check for ant scouts in my kitchen and bedroom. You have to get them early, before the legions arrive, and hope there are more crumbs in the kitchen next door!

• Muttado1sb
        Muttado1sb commented
        Editing a comment
        MHenry, you take your inspiration where you can find it. And as you pointed out, you never know where it will strike - in the shower, an overheard word in a passing conversation, a misread sign, your loved ones, or in posts you read online. At least, I've had inspiration strike by all of those.

Thank you!

Comment

Fun.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
          Muttado1sb commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I found myself trying too hard to be serious so I stepped back and let something light fly through. But then I still made it a challenge when I turned it into a 'sonnant' :-)
          Last edited by Muttado1sb; 11-22-2017, 10:07 AM.

I just had to rid my mailbox of a hoard of those little critters. I do not smile much these days as a rule, but this one had that effect.. Thank you

Comment

• Muttado1sb
          Muttado1sb commented
          Editing a comment
          The ants are a pain. I'm glad the poem brought out a smile. Much better than just a 'huh'. Thanks.
          Last edited by Muttado1sb; 11-22-2017, 10:07 AM.
      Working...
      X