• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Path

Deleted
    grant hayes
    Master of the Forum
    Last edited by grant hayes; 12-20-2017, 09:06 PM.

Lovely choice of language to create this mystical scene as it beckons the walker to continue the journey into twilight, and beyond. I love the line, traces the stages from grave to womb! Isn't it fascinating how so much ancient wisdom is circular in nature?

Comment

You make mere letters sing my friend. So beautiful.

Comment

No mereness about the letters, Rhymist; if they sing, it is because I was not there.

Comment

Life enveloped in a completed circle.

Nice!

Comment

Upon understanding rest enlightenment.
      I don't fully understand this piece but by the end of the day I will. :-)

Comment

• grant hayes
        grant hayes
        Master of the Forum
        grant hayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, Odonko-ba, it's my usual fare. Thank you for finding it worth your persistence. That is a great honour.

Hi Grant, This is my favorite piece of yours that I've read so far. The phrase "....hardens as houses" is full of mystery, And, of course, your rhyming is terrific.

Comment

• grant hayes
        grant hayes
        Master of the Forum
        grant hayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, it rhymes for once 😁
        Thank you, John, for your encouragement. Something for everyone!

The circle of life -- from Stone Age to present -- we seem to have improved from inception but we haven't really advanced. Beautifully written. Your words are an invitation to really stop and think in this fast food/fast word world we live in.

Comment

Many thanks, Alexandra, for sharing your response. I am glad the piece can elicit such reflection!

Comment

This is a mysterious and beautiful poem, grant, that glides smoothly along its carved and dim lit path. There is a lot of west, light, sun, fire, twilight, silvered (the moon?) stuff going on. I reckon this is significant. The poem is pregnant with and suggestive of deeper meaning, beyond the circle of life theme, elusive though it might be to the likes of me!

Comment

Elusive to the likes of me too, MHenry. If I knew what was going on here I wouldn't need to poemify it. It's an attempt to find words for one of those timeless moments of transcendent insight I believe we all experience from time to time. On this occasion, I was walking back to my house in the late afternoon, and the footpath on which the westering sun shone seemed to draw all my longing away to my true abode, which was not among the surrounding houses - each the shrine of a human coupling - but part of a larger cycle. There was a feeling of sweet homesickness, and the path I was on became a route to rebirth on the other side of this life. All fleeting, of course.
            grant hayes
            Master of the Forum
            Last edited by grant hayes; 04-24-2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Grant, beautiful. I am glad that the comments helped me to understand some and point out that I do not understand all of it. But, I
              know I wish I could walk on that path, if it is a literal path that you know . Otherwise, I will try to think of this as I go to sleep tonight,
              and see what happens. The setting is beautiful. again, 6th grade grasshopper.
              Brainwreck
              Master in Training
              Last edited by Brainwreck; 04-24-2016, 10:52 AM.

Comment

It wasn't so much the path itself that was remarkable, Brain, but the light and the moment. It was just a simple public footpath through a park near where I live.
                I'm pleased you found this poem expresses something you could take to slumber.

Comment

• Brainwreck
                  Brainwreck
                  Master in Training
                  Brainwreck commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Being an advanced amateur of photography I do love light. And we all have those moments we love.

Magnificent work, Grant! Your command of language is truly amazing. For myself the poem carries a sense of longing for wilderness, to let any nature run free and uninhibited by man's constructs. However, the fire and western lines bring a darker meaning to light in my mind, as a citizen of a nation of the west that continually wars and destroys and that possesses an arsenal of weaponry that can end humanity. The grave to womb line offers a way out of that spiral though; maybe, just maybe nations can be reborn too if their current status quo dies away. Well, I'm probably off base with my impressions but that is the sign of a gifted poet; to inspire deeper thought pondering in the search for meaning. Kudos!

Comment

I am quite happy for this poem to make those impressions, Katray! Thank you for sharing them; not 'off base' at all. One reason why I'm averse to explaining my own material (though I've ended up explaining it several times here) is that I don't want to establish an overly prescriptive 'authoritative' interpretation. Many thanks for your encouraging feedback, Katray.

Comment

Working...
                  X