and her
    Quack! Quack! Quack!
    now she’s flapped and quacked herself so far away

Quack!

but I hope some day
    she’ll return and stay
    ‘cause I never even thought to ask her name

Quack! Quack!

* There was a duck in the parking lot behind my car this morning, and this is what I wrote for my students as I drove from my hotel to the school this morning... quack.

That is so cute. How old are the students?

Comment

I was in the Nursery, Kindergarten and grades 1-2 classes today!

Comment

• Brainwreck
        Brainwreck commented
        Editing a comment
        Bet you made their day today. Hey, I even understood. ;-o

• pipersfancy
        pipersfancy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's just a fun little rhyme that sounds better, the faster you say it! I want to give kids the opportunity to play with language and speech sounds, so I often write little ditties and rhymes for the students I work with (I work in classrooms with the entire class, as well as individually with the speech/language-delayed children, including reading delays... Nursery right up to 12th graders!)

This is great, but there's not a whole lot going on way up north,, huh? I love children, and especially when they laugh..

Comment

• pipersfancy
        pipersfancy commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a lot goin' on, was actually the title of the theme song to Corner Gas... a Canadian sit-com set in the fictional small prairie town of Dog River, Saskatchewan. Funny show, if you ever get the chance to see it...

You think there's not a lot goin' on / Look closer baby, you're so wrong / And that's why you can stay so long / Where there's not a lot goin' on.

Thanks for stopping by, Robert!

What a fun and beautiful use of your talents pipersfancy! Thanks for sharing it here (because I'm still a kid at heart). I really enjoy how you take the immediate things around you and write them to share.

Comment

• pipersfancy
        pipersfancy commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it's very healthy and wise to remain a kid at heart! I'm one, as well!

Take me way up north

Comment

• Robert Wendt
        Robert Wendt commented
        Editing a comment
        Blanca Peak is over 14,000 feet and snow coved all year

• pipersfancy
        pipersfancy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm more familiar with the Canadian Rockies in Alberta, but mountains... pretty much anywhere... are astounding to behold! One of my dreams is to eventually retire to a small cottage up in the Rockies... Jasper, Alberta. Ah... but probably not! I'm much too much of a prairie girl at heart! I'd miss the wide open space. Still... lovely to visit!

• Robert Wendt
        Robert Wendt commented
        Editing a comment
        Been to Alberta, Too beautiful.. God did some of His best work there

Very much so

Comment

If you can find inspiration in every day events (not that a duck dawdles behind your parked vehicle every day, but still...) you can write poetry all the time. I envy you that, pipersfancy.

Comment

TA-DA! This is what [not missing life's little moments] is all about. Bravo! Rather than getting upset at a little duck (which many would) you took the opportunity to write a wonderful little prose about it, and then shared it with children! That's living a caring life....

Comment

Thank you both, MHenry and gradon archer, very much! One aspect of my work which I always appreciate is the actual traveling to schools... it takes me outside of my city, and into areas often quite remote and untouched by human influence. (The school I was at last week was not terribly remote, that's why there was a town nearby with an actual motel for me to stay in!) However, the more remote schools offer me the chance to see all sorts of wildlife which people in the city never see: lynx, bear (black, brown and polar... when I'm far enough north), wolves, fox, elk, moose... you name it! And, I always feel honoured when they choose to show themselves to me... (I know, that sounds a bit odd... but I've learned from traditional Native Spirituality that it is a gift when an animal decides to show itself to a human...) Anyway, I can't help but feel inspired to write when a wild creature... even one so familiar and common as a little duck... interacts in some way with me!

Comment

A quacking poem. Quack Quack

Comment

• pipersfancy
                pipersfancy commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey... I'm just repeating what she said! LOL!

If you are repeating what the duck said does the duck get credited for co-writing the poem. I am sure i heard someone say ducking plagiarism isn't allowed?

Comment

• Parkinsonspoet
                Parkinsonspoet commented
                Editing a comment
                ps the comment I have just posted is not meant seriously and I apologise if you don't get my sense of humour.

• pipersfancy
                pipersfancy commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah— yes, of course she does... (unfortunately, I didn't catch her name... quack!)

So cute! I needed this pick-me up poem! I shall have to post one of my old poems now in an effort to make people smile too. I have been reading and writing too many gloomy poems here of late. Time for a little levity!!!

Comment

Suggesting all of you to access this Free Learning Apps for Kids and get more than 20 famous short rhymes for kids like that.

Comment

Working...
                X