X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku: Numbers

Deleted
    Merkavah
    Last edited by Merkavah; 03-28-2021, 02:57 AM.

This is a rather profound piece, comrade rabbi. Is this the anime nana, or a wet nurse? In any case, this is a provocative haiku. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Merkavah
      Merkavah
      Merkavah commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes...? Most of the words have quite a few meanings hidden within them. While I hadn't heard of the specific anime 'Nana' until just now, Japanese is probably the heaviest contributor to the poem (besides English), although, as you hinted, a number of other languages may also play a bit of a role ( ).

Hopefully it'll be a fun treasure hunt. (Blame Brainwreck, she mentioned numbers in conjunction with poetry and I had to...)

Gee, I am floored right now . 7 days 65-81skulls 88 years or 100 years. Am I even getting close. Once again, my mouth gets me into trouble.

I must be careful of what I say to you.
    Brainwreck
    Master in Training
    Last edited by Brainwreck; 04-18-2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I used way to many languages thrown in here, so...

Spoiler:

Line 1
      Shivah: A seven-day mourning period in Jewish tradition (comes from sheva [Hebrew, seba in Arabic] which is 7); Shi is 4 in Japanese, also commonly associated with death.
      Composed: Com prefix for 'with' or 'in association' while Po is the Chinese concept of the physical part of the soul and is sometimes associated with 7. (A bit flimsy, but I wanted Composed for the Haiku anyways.)
      Death: reminder of 'Shi' or 4... ending line 1 as it began.

Line 2
      Kurgan: A burial mound in various Slavic (Russian) traditions; Ku is 9 in Japanese and is often associated with torture and agony.
      Agony: Reminder of 'Ku' or 9... ending line 2 as it began; Go is Japanese for 5... and while it is bit flimsy it is often associated with the '5 elements' as well as a 5-colored cord used in some rituals for the dead--I thought 'transcend' + these two thoughts went well with the concept of the Haiku.

Line 3
      Nana: A grandmotherly figure (naturally in pain and close to death yet very much alive); Nana is 7 in Japanese and is often associated with Luck.
      Luck: Reminder of 'Nana' or 7... ending line 3 as it began.
      And grandmothers should be considered awesome and be respected and bring us good luck in their gift of wisdom and kindness anyways even as they court inevitability.

Disclaimers: There may be other little nuggets in there, but none that I did on purpose. Also, I only know a little bit of Japanese and Chinese and even less about anything Russian. English, Hebrew (and a little Arabic) I'm more familiar with. Also, the haiku without any of the random 'meaning' I threw in there is hopefully ok by itself.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
        RhymeLovingWriter
        Administrator
        RhymeLovingWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        This was about 7 miles (no significance to the number 7 of which I'm aware) above my current level of understanding. Wow! Thank you for adding to this the post because it gives me a whole new way to view your work. AMAZING!

This haiku is a perfect example of the statement. Be careful of what you wish for. My hat is off to you.

Comment

Working...
    X