If you bleed, I will cut
    If you break, I will hammer

I shall bring a plague upon you
    I shall destroy all living things
    All that is within my reach

Before me
    You are defenseless
    For I am thine own hand

Strewth. A quick blast of sheer power! The concept of Death 'doubling down' on whatever afflicts one, in the first stanza, is brilliant. And the ending is, pardon the pun, a killer line. 'I am thine own hand'. This has a kind of operatic intensity. Very dramatic, MHenry.

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      I finally decided to look up 'strewth'!

strewth
      An Australian, or 'Aussie', exclamation, similar to the somewhat more popular 'Crikey!'

Strewth, that was a hard day, toss me a Fosters mate!

What a great word to use in a comment and a poem, so unfamiliar to my American ears, yet the sound and look of it, so suggestive of its meaning, even without the exclamation point.

Well, I would surely toss you a Fosters, grant, if I thought I had the hurl power!

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      It's an exclamation I use in spoken, non-writing life too, MHenry. I am disappointly atypical of my country in many ways, yet I am an enthusiastic devotee of beer, which makes me a least a little blokey. I'd love to have a beer with you, mate. If beer is not your poison, then something else. My shout.

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      I would absolutely love to get to Australia one day and quaff a few Fosters with you, grant. Perhaps learn more about ancient Egyptian culture, a rich and mysterious source for inspiration.

The atypicality is certainly a strength and requires no apology, but a celebration. I think poets, the cerebral types, in general, are an atypical bunch, for the simple reason much of the time is spent inside the head radiating outward, rather than outside the head radiating inward.

Thank you, grant. A little bologna sandwich for a Sunday morning (in this part of the world, anyway)

I recently discovered how to find posts I've missed without having to scroll through dozens of elsewhere-leading posts...I will be on the lookout for others I may have missed.
    Last edited by MHenry; 04-17-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

So so true. This is powerful and a great write.

Comment

• MHenry
        MHenry commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, cc. Much appreciated.

Death always a dramtic subject but used with a precision all you r own

Comment

I concur with the others - deep drama and power here - almost unnerving in intensity!

Comment

Thank you Pp and RLW. I very much appreciate that you read my work, and your favorable remarks. It is interesting and rewarding when just a few words combine to evoke deep feelings. Cursing used to do that, but we use curse words like toilet paper these days, so they have lost their meaning. Poetry will never be toilet paper.

Comment

• pipersfancy
            pipersfancy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd expand that sentiment... words in general are twisted and misused... toilet paper indeed! But, you're right... POETRY should always strive to be meaningful.

Oh! *SNAP!* MHenry... bringin' us all a little shot of reality! Nicely done!

Comment

Working...
          X