Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A FEW POINTERS FOR WRITERS OF POETRY ON RHYME ZONE

A FEW POINTERS FOR WRITERS OF POETRY ON RHYME ZONE

Hi everybody, I am The kurlman! I was asked by Electron John, if I would share a few pointers with all the writers of poetry on RHYME ZONE. My answer was a very quick yes! You must understand, I am no expert. There is so much to learn! I personally didn't start writing until I was (70 ) then I quit because no one took me serious. All my words were put on paper with pen, I didn't touch a computer until I was (76 ),if writing is hard, an old man learning the computer, was a disaster! I tell you this, just so you know, no matter how old you are don't stop writing.

#1- Don't get discouraged keep writing
    #2- Don't rely on family and friends for critiques, they love everything you write
    #3- Do join a writing group (as quick as possible ) Google one in your area, they will pop up
    #4- Do listen I repeat LISTEN
    #5- Do take your work in for critiquing (we have a 1000 word limit, I get 6 to 8 poems critiqued )
    #6- Do redo your work immediately (if you put it off, it may become less important )
    #7- Do re-read your work -10-20-30-40-50- times (you wrote it try and make it perfect )

I personally love the critique, because it makes me better, I may only change a word or move a line, when finished, my poem is better! I mostly write end line rhymes, where each line rhymes with the last line. Rhythm and meter are two points important to me, helping my poems flow, from one line to the next. Poets who write free verse, rhythm and meter mean very little.

#8- Do write I repeat WRITE (the more you write the better you will become )
    #9- Do keep a pad with you (write down your thoughts-they may be your next great poem )
    #10-Do encourage others, they will encourage you

Thanks for letting me share,
    Your fellow poet,
    The kurlman

Thank you The kurlman! It is never too late to begin writing or using a computer.

Comment

Hi Kurlman, Thanks for this post with some excellent suggestions. I'd like to offer two more. Take your poem for a walk. I print a copy and pull it out of my pocket every mile or so and read it. I am always amazed at the things I notice and the ideas that pop up when I am I am out for a walk and away form the computer. Goethe called himself Der Wanderer, the hiker, and a suggestion does not come from a much better source. Second, memorize your poem. I find that if I have difficulty memorizing a piece that it might be because it is not very memorable, or that it does not flow.

Comment

I thank you for your kind words! I don't exactly take my poems for a walk but I do read and re-read them many times! I just made changes to a poem today that I
        wrote in July.The group I belong too works me over pretty good, and I try to listen well.Thanks again, high praise coming from you. The kurlman

Comment

Excellent writing tips Carl. Thanks for making this post. I think it will be helpful to a lot of members. And John your suggestions to take your poem on a walk and to memorize them are brilliant. I am moving this topic to the "Get Help with writing and homework" forum so that it will not be lost in the sea of poems that are coming in and because that is the better place for it. I will leave a redirect where you posted it for a month as well.

Comment

Thanks John, I hope my post will help as many poets or more,than has helped me! Thanks for asking, The kurlman

Comment

Can I get you to review my poem(s)?

Comment

HAL, I would be most happy to review your poems! Welcome aboard! The kurlman

Comment

mrault, Sorry I missed thanking you for your encouragement! A BIG THANK YOU NOW! The kurlman

Comment

Thanks! Great tips.

Comment

Thank you, SoujournerYouth, if I can help you in anyway PLEASE ask! I am glad my tips were helpful. The kurlman

Comment

Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Catz, My pleasure, The kurlman

Comment

In case anyone is interested, the following is an excellent essay on writing poetry: http://www.valpo.edu/vpr/mcdonaldessay.html

Comment

my friend RGstars thoughts on a better poet?

RGstar: A BETTER POET?

Now, as far as poems go, there are no rights or wrongs , but there is form, structure, feel, and delivery. In amongst that lot, somewhere, there is what I call; the 'soul' of the writing.

You challenge your mind, and deliver your thoughts. That is what you do.

Your thoughts are not the soul. Your thoughts are vessels of communication that need molding in order to create the emotion that appeals to the conscious, and unconscious mind....in this case, the reader.

Sometimes, thoughts alone cannot deliver the emotion needed when writing a poem. You need to develop its 'soul'

Nouns are, in a sense, static and stationary, robust and full-proof. They do not bend or move unless you bend them.... with mostly, GOOD adjectives.

Yet, be careful. Many new poets, and many old, (who should know better) sometimes tend to over compensate their poetry with TOO MANY adjectives.

An adjective can be the light of a poem or the glaze of disaster. Chose your adjective well, and use it when it serves purpose, or there is a reason to believe you are just creating superficial decoration.

With prose, you have time to develop and lull into a sense of feel, and direction.
                              With poetry you have no time. You must formulate with only a few words, therefore the adjective becomes your most potent weapon, or you most poetic death.

Use wisely friends.

'There is a difference between writing poetically and writing poetry.'

When we truly grasp the difference, we will undoubtedly write better poems.

RGstar
                              November 21 at 5:18PM

Comment

Working...
                              X