Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Structuring long poem for FAST RECITATION?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Structuring long poem for FAST RECITATION?

Hello. Although I am new to this forum, I'm hopeful that those with writing experience might offer some advice.

I'm a translator of Buddhist texts from Tibetan to English. I have written a number of versified translations in a Tibetan structure for chant with traditional Tibetan melodies.

Now I want to begin the translation of a long work that is traditionally read/chanted without melody. Chanted at top speed, it takes about 12 minutes to complete.

Since there is no melody, I am not bound to a Tibetan structure. Although, I don't believe recitation for speed is a thing in English, I'm looking to make it a priority for the present project. Since I have allowed music to dictate the structure of prior works, I've never structured a translation according to my own choosing.

​​​​​​I want an end result that will be DELIGHTFUL TO RECITE and structure(s) that will support profound meaning and many pages of quick chanting without becoming monotonous. The original uses a lot of alliteration and homonyms, which I would like to preserve.

If you have suggestions of structures or examples of poems that have some of the above qualities (or any other useful tidbits), please share them with me. I'm excited to take on this challenge but I need a clear vision of how to go forward.

Hey! I loved and enjoyed your post because your words made me read your article fully. Really the idea to structure long poems is really great and I had picked a lot of informative things from https://edubirdie.org/ and your article. So thanks a lot for writing this absolutely amazing article.
    Last edited by MikeMax3; 12-12-2018, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X