Need an advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an advise

Hello, colleagues. I need your professional advice. Do you think one should learn other poets’ poems by heart or read them as many as possible to write one’s own poems? I will appreciate if you share with me some tips to improve one’s poetry skills.

It's not a must, but it can help. I think people usually learn from others for them to start, just like how I began writing mine. However, while being inspired by someone is good and you can be upfront on saying it, deliberate plagiarism is a no-no. The only tip I can give to you if you are thinking about making a head-start is write things from personal experiences and make it coherent as you can. I wish you good luck when you get around starting it... it's a good way to express your thoughts

Comment

I don't think it necessary to learn other poets work by heart but reading out loud helps give a feel for the flow.and helps with insight to thier intent. Reading other work gives you insight to what is possible but I agree with Bry it is important to use youself in the poems and be true to yourself.

Comment

Allow me to first offer a disclaimer. I am not a poet. I am someone who writes poetry. There is a difference.
        Poets are born to poetry. Poets write because they have to.
        If you seek to be a poet, you are not.
        However, should you desire to write poetry then...
        read, read, read
        Listen, listen, listen
        Write, write, write

You may write great poetry but..
        Are you a poet?

Comment

• grant hayes
          grant hayes commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautifully said, rhymetime.
      Working...
      X