Need an advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an advise

Hello, colleagues. I need your professional advice. Do you think one should learn other poets’ poems by heart or read them as many as possible to write one’s own poems? I will appreciate if you share with me some tips to improve one’s poetry skills.

It's not a must, but it can help. I think people usually learn from others for them to start, just like how I began writing mine. However, while being inspired by someone is good and you can be upfront on saying it, deliberate plagiarism is a no-no. The only tip I can give to you if you are thinking about making a head-start is write things from personal experiences and make it coherent as you can. I wish you good luck when you get around starting it... it's a good way to express your thoughts

Comment

I don't think it necessary to learn other poets work by heart but reading out loud helps give a feel for the flow.and helps with insight to thier intent. Reading other work gives you insight to what is possible but I agree with Bry it is important to use youself in the poems and be true to yourself.

Comment

Allow me to first offer a disclaimer. I am not a poet. I am someone who writes poetry. There is a difference.
        Poets are born to poetry. Poets write because they have to.
        If you seek to be a poet, you are not.
        However, should you desire to write poetry then...
        read, read, read
        Listen, listen, listen
        Write, write, write

You may write great poetry but..
        Are you a poet?

Comment

• grant hayes
          grant hayes commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautifully said, rhymetime.

It could help, but don't forget to create your own style, like I did when I have to visit clinic https://hghtherapydoctor.us for hrt.
        So i can recommend you to read as much as possible, but don't forget about your soul

Comment

I think it's not always necessary to learn all poets work by heart

Comment

Poetry is something with something, we always try to come up with some lines in our heads, but not every given person can grasp the possibility and, especially, the art of writing poetry. It’s all the same as with writing any other work, for example, it just doesn’t work for me, but I decided what top writing service would take for it and I won’t worry about it, it’s better best research paper writing services will do everything as needed and I will be calm.

Comment

Working...
            X