Haiku Poems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku Poems

Can anyone tell me the proper style to write the Haiku poem. Some say 5X7X5 sentences and some say 2X4X6X8X2? Which is correct? Anyone havve a sample I can read?

I'm not an expert in poetry styles, but I believe the latter is commonly referred to as a Cinquain

Cinquain
    Quite mosaic
    Do you see the pattern?
    Used for butterflies and heart shapes.
    ...sometimes.

You can use this pattern in many ways:
    2, 4, 6, 8, 2 (if side by side with a second, it can make a spade)
    2, 8, 6, 4, 2 (if side by side with a second, it can make a heart)
    2, 4, 6, 8, 2, 8, 6, 4, 2
    etc.

Also can be used with words instead of syllables

Cinquain's don't often rhyme...

--

Haiku is the 5, 7, 5 (syllables)

Natural Haiku
    Describing the universe
    Stars adrift in space

Again, usually non-rhyming.

Haiku's often describe things in nature with two parts... I'm sure others can describe this more elaborately but this is a simple start.

And again, you can use the pattern in several ways (although they are no longer a true 'haiku')

5, 7, 5, 7, 7 (Tanka)
    5, 7, 5, 7, 5
    3, 5, 3 (I like this one)

Comment

• Merkavah
      Merkavah commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, if you use the 'search' button and look up 'Haiku' you'll find many examples... the one I wrote last was 'Haiku: Numbers' but lots of excellent haiku's have been written by various poets for your perusal on this site.

This thread caught my attention. I remember my high school days in an English class. Anyway, As far as I know there are no particular rules for writing haiku although it has same structures. For information and guidelines, you may want to read about : How to write Haiku?

Comment

Working...
    X