Other writing communities?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other writing communities?

I would like to know if there's other places where you can share literature work, besides here. I really don't want to return to DeviantArt if I don't have to (as I was a member there, until I left the place last year). Just so that my works can get more exposure, that's all

Bry89 try Allpoetry. I highly reccomend!

Comment

Bry89 Although I'm not a regular here I'm familiar with the majority of poetry forums out there and, contrary to Bobby's opinion, I'd say that Allpoetry is far and away the worst active poetry forum I've seen. The standard of commenting there from the majority of contributors is abysmal, it certainly won't help you to grow as a poet.

Although your work might get more exposure in the sense that there's potential for it to be seen by more people, since it's a huge site, there's every chance it'll be buried under the weight of the thousands of poets who only care about sharing their work and are either incapable or unwilling to compose coherent thoughts on other people's work.

If you want exposure then Facebook is even bigger still, but I wouldn't recommend that either. I guess it depends on your goals as a writer. If being seen by the right people is more important than being seen by the masses, there are other forums I could recommend.

Comment

Just as well I didn't submit any of my works there, from what you said. And if the people there can't dispense any feedback other than feeding their own egos, then that's their problem. And, Facebook is a dump. So is every other social media garbage out there. I do agree that one's works should be seen by the right people and with that said, I feel glad that I've landed here in the first place. Other places you know of, feel free to list them but they don't necessarily have to be forums though.

Comment

Bry89 I think it's beneficial to be part of at least one critique-based community or forum. Although they too vary in quality, spending time in a place where you can receive and give (and the giving part is of equal importance) quality critique will improve your writing at a more rapid rate than being in a place which is more sharing-based.

Comment

I was a long-standing member of FanStory and enjoyed my time there. The basic membership is not expensive, and the feedback was quite helpful. However, they use a points-system whereby you earn by reviewing others' works, or purchase, additional credit which allows you to post your own work closer to the front page (rather than on, say, page 52...) and thereby increase the likelihood of receiving more critiques and reviews. I found myself spending inordinate amounts of time giving lengthy reviews, so after a few years I decided to move on from FS. Definitely a good experience, though. And (for the most part!) a supportive group of individuals. I also enjoyed the writing prompts and frequent contests for poetry, short story, etc. (Although, after a few years, I did come to anticipate when and what those prompts were!)

I've also really enjoyed spending time on the Writer's Digest site. In particular, I focus on the "Poetic Asides" blog. Great articles, and interviews of current published poets, frequent writing prompts to get the creative juices flowing, and two main challenges every year: Poem A Day (PAD) in April and again in November. The winners of the April Pad (i.e. the selected best poem for each day) are compiled into an anthology of April PAD poems, while the winner of the November PAD is one poet who's works throughout the month are published as a chapbook.

I'd recommend either (or both!) sites as good ways to further connect with online writing communities.

Comment

Allpoetry is a good site but I havent tried posting in here. I am afraid my works would not be posted and would be censored. Is there such thing in the site?

Comment

No, I know that on Allpoetry site you can start to post with complete confidence. This is really good community. People will like your works

Comment

Originally posted by terrycarr View Post
                  No, I know that on Allpoetry site you can start to post with complete confidence. This is really good community. People will like your works
                  Tell me, terrycarr , is Kevin still doing his vanity publishing project there, a la poetry.com?

Comment

Working...
                  X