Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite Rhyme poems of childhood?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite Rhyme poems of childhood?

There are lot of rhythmic poems in our childhood? Which one you remember even today

It is a song "Frog Went A'Courtin'"

Comment

Just saw this! what a great question himanisahani

2 that immediately come to mind are ' I think that I shall never see a poem s lovely as a tree' MHenry i thought of this while reading your poem last night! what is yours?
      And also 'Fog' by Carl Sandburg

I would love to know grant hayes Tanner RhymeLovingWriter (bet it rhymes!) Bison Sumyanna lunar glide Samuel Smith and all the rest here in the R- zone- great insight!

Comment

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        Samuel, I fell hard for that one too right away. I can see why you would be drawn to that one. When did you write your first poem?

• lunar glide
        lunar glide commented
        Editing a comment
        my first poetry was musics not words Mozart Chopin Schubert... then the poetry in the bible psalms.. the end of Job still haunts me. but the first poets I discovered on my own were Poe Dickinson Stevenson and Cervantes. I have been chasing birds and windmills on a malnourished horse ever since.

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        lunar-g! Fascinating yet not surprising as your poems have so much music in them and the spiritual journey too... i see the psalms and also the malnourished horse! thanks!

Discounting all the nursery rhymes (which are all great), I remember very fondly 'Far and far to Zanzibar' from music class. It's hard to find these days.

Comment

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        Love this title MH! I did a search... is this it?

Oh, far and far to Zanzibar,
        I went to sea in an open car,
        But I found it rather boring.
        For the rain did blow on the wave-wet road,
        And the green seas came a roaring.
        And each fish would grin as he passed me by...

• MHenry
        MHenry commented
        Editing a comment
        That is the one. I still remember the tune!

and from memory...

With a wavy fin and a fishy eye
        and he said as I recall
        pick a peck of pollywogs a pocket full of salt...
        Last edited by MHenry; 07-05-2016, 02:08 PM.

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        what a lovely rhyme! thanks for sharing this!!

Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky.

Comment

• grant hayes
        grant hayes commented
        Editing a comment
        It was the first poem I fully committed to memory. I was attracted by the power of nonsense words to suggest meaning through context and sound.

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        How old were you grant? a tough one to command to memory! I like to picture you a 'beamis boy' in short pants on a soap box with an audience of school chums applauding at your feat/feet!

• grant hayes
        grant hayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Um, no applause from any chums, no. I kept well silent, but my unconscious oddity did not escape the inimical attentions of young persecutors.

I was probably 12 or 13 when I finally learned it, like some magic spell. That nonsense rhyme made me sit up and take notice of poetry. But in my milieu, such things were best kept to oneself.

The first one that came to mind isn't in English but roughly translated...

"This flower of mine, pretty and pink;
      This flower of mine, so very lovely.
      This little flower from the garden;
      Mommy, mommy, won't you smell it?"

I think I loved it because it was a nursery rhyme that captured both the innocence of a child while being most memorable to the parents. Sadly, while the meaning still works the rhythm, which was perfect and childlike, is lost in translation.

Other than that... it would probably be Paradise Lost? I'm afraid I didn't really like 'rhymes' as a child as they always seemed so very tacky...

Comment

• MHenry
        MHenry commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know what is lost in translation, but what is left is wonderful.

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        I am drawn in by that poem @Merkavah... so very much so! thank you for that!

Mine is Twinkle Twinkle little star is my favorite .

Comment

• MHenry
        MHenry commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a good one! If we are going to nursery rhymes, I love Eensy Weensy Spider!

himanisahani that is a beauty! Have not thought of this in quite some time, but my first song I learned to play on the saxophone was Twinkle Twinkle Little Star! shortly thereafter I gave up my music career! prefer writing as the pen and paper is easier to carry around... ha! lunar glide music/poetry!!

Comment

they are the same thing to me. human expressions. one of my favorite stories : Chopin and a friend watching a dog chase its tail in circles. Chopin's friend says something to him like: "if I could use a piano like you I would make a song about that" = the minute waltz.

other poems I love : moonlight sonata raindrop prelude butterfly etude funeral march feur elise...

in my mind all would have been expressed in letters if music wasn't easier for the authors.

Comment

• lunar glide
          lunar glide commented
          Editing a comment
          sometimes yes. believe it or not the louder and more distracting the environment the better I write.

• MHenry
          MHenry commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know how you do it, lunar glide! When the dogs bark, my grown son wants attention, the TV is on, and my wife needs help, I am driven mad and cannot write at all!

• Merkavah
          Merkavah commented
          Editing a comment
          I think best when walking for an hour or two. But translating thought into communication is extremely difficult for me... which is when the loud, monotonous (but fun) music comes on if I really need to buckle down and write. I have a couple composers and bands that I basically just listen to for writing. The quieter classical or folk songs though will definitely distract me.

I guess it would be like reading a Grant to elicit a response of frenetic thought as opposed to reading a Wertz to relax into contented reflection--Both are good but I need the loudness to take the 20-50% of my brain that is going to wander off regardless and wall it off via that one loud 'thought'.

J.R.R. Tolkien's poem "Oliphaunt" was the first I liked enough to memorized.
        http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Oliphaunt_(poem)

Comment

This one is my favorite.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1f23556c0d.jpg

Comment

Well since it's raining here mine would be...Rain, rain, go away, come again another day, little Dani wants to play

Comment

Three little kittens, Hickory, Dickory, Dock
              bullet force

Comment

Working...
              X