What are dreams?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are dreams?

I think a lot about my dreams. I believe that most people do. What are dreams to you? I've tried to define a few from which to choose:

Dreams are:
    1. Phenomenal activities of the subconscious, the content of which is relevant to both conscious and unconscious memories and experiences.
    2. Another dimension of one’s life as real as the waking world.
    3. I hate dreams. They make no sense and they scare me.
    4. Other: _____

I think dreams are a combination of #1 and #4. Although I can not really explain the other, I will say I believe it to be from a higher power. Or maybe your own power that you are not able to touch during consciousness. And maybe both. I do feel if you are dreaming of a lost loved one it is them reaching out to say hello. I have very detailed dreams often so I too think about dreams a lot.

Comment

• Matewitofusys
      Matewitofusys commented
      Editing a comment
      Rach - You can only pick one of the options. jk.
      Thanks for the input. I never thought of dreams as that sort of medium.

Do you guys agree that dreams have a certain meaning? Like in my mother's side she is a Filipina she believes that when you dream about your teeth falling out it means death. Weird right?

Comment

#1 for me I think. I have noticed that my dreams are often based on events that are happening in my life, often times mixing a few memories together to make something new. If I am really into a book or movie then I may have a dream that has components from that book or movie in it. I think dreams are just my brain resting and doing its own thing, like when your leg or arm twitches while you are asleep. That said I have had problems at work, project and the like, that are kicking around in my brain that I end up solving, or getting a new idea about how to solve them, from my dreams. But that usually happens just before I wake up. Or maybe it happens other times but I only remember when it happens just before I wake up...

I also don't really have bad dreams. When I have a "scary" dream, like someone trying to catch me and kill me, I somehow always turn it around and find something to fight back with or set a trap for them, etc. Those dreams are actually a lot of fun for me.

Comment

I am not a 100% sure what dreams are. Abraham Lincoln believed dreams were premonitions. Before every major turning point of the a Civil War, he had the same exact dream where he was on a vessel, traveling at a fast rate, heading off into nowhere. Also, he had his famous dream a couple of nigts before his assassination, where he dreamed of a funeral pyre and a solider stated THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN SHOT TO DEATH. I've wondered the same thing about dreams as your questions pose: I would like to say #1 fits for me. Have you heard that if you see someone in your dreams, it's them missing you? Or if you dream of driving or going somewhere, it is supposedly indicating that you are going to travel somewhere soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rach79 View Post
          I think dreams are a combination of #1 and #4. Although I can not really explain the other, I will say I believe it to be from a higher power. Or maybe your own power that you are not able to touch during consciousness. And maybe both. I do feel if you are dreaming of a lost loved one it is them reaching out to say hello. I have very detailed dreams often so I too think about dreams a lot.

I agree Rach, i also choose #1 and #4. There are times that we dream about the things we think about when we are conscious.

Comment

I want to become good and professional writer. From past 2 years am working hard and trying to improve my skills..

Comment

They say dreams don't have colors. But I often have colored dreams. What about you?
              What are dreams? Take a look at what goes on behind the scenes when you dream and find out what are dreams at Discovery Health.

Comment

I had a dream the other day about having a hummingbird in a cage and letting it go, and watching it hover nearby me for a while before it flew away. Then that morning when I was sitting outside a hummingbird flew up to some flowers nearby me and then turned to face me for about 5 seconds or so. Then it flew away. I rarely see hummingbirds and even less often do they hover nearby me for so long. So that was weird.

Comment

Working...
                X